Restaurant style Dal Makhni (dhungar method) Or Maa-di- Dal
Dal Makhni is a rich and delicious punjabi dish. The basic ingredients used are just two- whole black lentils (kali urad) and rajma (kidney beans). It gets its richness from the use of cream and butter.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Whole black lentils ( kali urad) – 3/4 cup
Rajma (kidney beans)- 1/4 cup
Onions- 2 medium sized
Tomato puree 1 cup
Green chillies- 2 chopped
Black cardamom- 1
Ginger garlic paste -2 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/4 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Sugar-1/2 tbsp (optional)
Butter- 2 tsp
Ghee ( for dungar )-1 tbsp
Garam masala powder- 1/4 tbsp
Nutmeg(crushed into powder or grated)- 1/4 tbsp
Cream- 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves ( garnish)
1.Soak the lentils and rajma together in a pan overnight.
2.Pressure cook them on high flame with 4 cups water for 20 minutes or 13-14 whistles.
3.In a pan heat butter, add cumin, cardamom, cloves, black cardamom, cinnamon stick.
4.Add chopped onions and saute till golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 5 minutes.
5.Add tomato puree and cook it for 5 minutes.
6.Add nutmeg powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and saute till oil separates from the pan.
7.Add the cooked dal along with water.
8.Add salt to taste. Keep stirring the mixture every few minutes to avoid sticking to the bottom.cook for 15-20 minutes. Add sugar (optional )
9. Adjust the thickness by adding water. Consistency should neither be so thin nor so thick.
10. Add cream and stir.
For Dungar( charcoal method)
1. Heat a piece of charcoal on the flame.
2. In a small bowl add 1 tsp ghee
3. Add the burning charcoal to the bowl
4. Put the fuming bowl immediately into the pan and cover it.
5. Let the smoke get completely infused to the dal. This will add restaurant like taste to the dal. Garnish and Serve it with chapati or steamed rice.
Thank you! Signing off
-Team Social Mela